Executive Director Conflict
The board of director's oversight role brings a fundamental tension to the board/executive director relationship. Who is ultimately in charge here? There are no firm guidelines about where board oversight leaves off and executive management begins. In this grey area, struggles for power and authority often emerge.
- The executive director gets so defensive when I ask her for something.
- The executive director won't let us exercise proper fiscal oversight.
- The first I heard about our funding cuts was in the newspaper.
- The executive director doesn't recognize my authority.
- I'm not sure the executive director is right for the job, but I don't want to say anything that
- would offend him.
- If Bob doesn't stop sending me those nasty emails I swear I'm going to quit!
Executive Director Perspective
- The board is questioning everything I do.
- I can't even order stationery without the board wanting to get involved.
- I don't want the board breathing down my neck when things are so tough right now.
- The board chair doesn't recognize my authority.
- The board doesn't trust me.
- If Judy doesn't stop sending me those nasty emails I swear I'm going to quit!
Terms Of Service |
VCG Governance Matters®, 55 West 39th Street,12th Floor, New York, NY 10018
t 212-447-1236 f 212-447-0925
Copyright© 2006-2011 VCG Governance Matters. All Rights Reserved.
Powered by the Action Potential Non-Profit Web Toolkit.
Source code and editors Copyright © 2001-2013 by Action Potential Networks Inc.. All rights reserved.