Recruitment Plan for Potential Board Members
Wise boards prepare a plan for filling their Board of Directors. Starting with their strategic plan, they should decide the variety of skills, expertise, representation, work, wisdom and wealth and other considerations that are desired at the board table:
- Convene a Board Development Committee
- Review the goals, outcomes and plan(s) of action for the board and the organization where are we going over the next few years?
- Conduct a skills assessment or matrix of current board members using agreed criteria
- Develop Board Member Job Description (including expectations)
- Develop the criteria specifically for new board members given the current needs of the board and the organization, goals, job description, etc.
- Ask board members for suggestions based on the criteria for that year for new board members
- Consider who else is needed based on the above and brainstorm possible people
- Have a discussion at a board meeting on suggestions based on above results; number of new board members preferred (see the bylaws as well).
- Assist board to prioritize list of potential board members, based on the decided criteria for the year.
- Have Board of Directors vote on new board members, based on the prioritized list
- Contact potential board members in the order of the prioritized list; inform as to their nomination and share expectations, board job descriptions, future important dates and answer all questions!
Courtesy of Griffin Green Consulting, 45 East 85th Street, New York, NY 10028 (212) 721-2427. GriffinGreen14@aol.com
Terms Of Service |
VCG Governance Matters®, 55 West 39th Street,12th Floor, New York, NY 10018
t 212-447-1236 f 212-447-0925
Copyright© 2006-2011 VCG Governance Matters. All Rights Reserved.
Powered by the Action Potential Non-Profit Web Toolkit.
Source code and editors Copyright © 2001-2013 by Action Potential Networks Inc.. All rights reserved.